Friday, November 9, 2012

Faux Tile Backsplash for $15

I've wanted to put up some beadboard backsplash in my kitchen (in addition to doing by island) but needed something to jazz it up before we can afford beadboard.  Enter this inspiration.

It was also a good way to test to see if I like the tile backsplashes.  I love tiles (especially the goregous glass tiles they have!) but sometimes I find them too busy with granite or other stone countertops.  So I convinced myself this was a cheap way to see if we liked it with our counters :)

Even thought the beige we had would look fine as 'grout' we have builder grade flat paint.  I opted to spring for the $10 for a little can of paint so it will be more durable.  Plus a couple of tubes of craft paint (some on hand, some new) at $0.50 each.  Some painter's tape, cheap 1" foam brushes, and we're good to go.

We started with this:
 

During:



After:


It's not perfect, the paint bled a bit, but you can't tell unless you get up close.  And if you're that close to it in my kitchen, you better be making me something to eat! :)

7 comments:

Selina@CreativeJuicesDecor said...

The colors you picked look GREAT! Welcome to the world of blogging :-)

Ahna @ Easier Than I Thought said...

It looks awesome! I have often thought about doing something similar. Great job!

Ashley H said...

So you painted a backsplash?! That is pure genius. I'd like to see a closer up shot. The colors you chose look fabulous!

Jen said...

You painted that backsplash? Oh my gosh, it looks totally amazing, never would have known without you saying so! The colors are gorgeous with your countertop and the small square of bright turquoise make it look really high end!

WELL DONE!!!

the cape on the corner said...

wait a minute, you painted that? it's amazing! did you put anything on as a topper/protector coat? i'm super impressed!

Ashley said...

Thanks, guys! Ya'll are too sweet!

Ashley H, I added a close up of it. You can see it bled a bit, but not too bad!

The Cape on the Corner, I didn't add a top coat. This is just a temporary fix for me as I really want beadboard backsplashes. Because my walls are flat paint, I did start with a glossy white to give it more durability. If I wanted to keep this, I'd definitely touch it up and then add a topcoat

Unknown said...

Your backsplash looks fantastic and what a great way to try out a new look.
Traci