Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Designer Wreath Tutorial

I don't know about you, but I find those cheap wreaths a little scrawny.  But they're such a good price.  Here's how to get the look of those big fluffy wreaths for the cost of the small ones.

I picked up a 24" wreath from Michaels, but you could do dollar store or walmart has them for $4.  The tag says it's $7.99 but it was (and usually is) on sale for $5.  The smaller ones are $3 but the bigger ones are never on sale before the holidays (not that I've seen at least)


I also picked up a garland for $5 at Michaels (again, check dollar store and walmart for even cheaper options) and some holly sticks from JoAnn's at 50% off.  Because I do everything on a dime, I used twist ties, but you could use wire (I had some as back up, but this worked great!)  You'll also need something to cut wire with. 

Wrap the garland around the outside of the wreath.

Position it so it looks good from the front because we'll be working on the back for a bit. 

After carefully flipping it over begin tie it off.  Using wire or a twist tie, tie off the beginning of the garland. I used a yellow twist tie here so I could find it easily if I needed to.  Because it's at the back, you can't see it at all.  Keep the garland wrapping around the outside edge and tie off a few more places (it didn't take many)

Pull it snug so there are no gaps and tie it off until you get to the end.  Pull the end back towards the wreath frame to disguise the end.  Tie it off with another twist tie or wire.

Position the berry branches around.  I used 5 so they would overlap some.  Or use whatever you want to decorate at this point.


A few inches down from where berries split from the branch secure with wire or twist tie.

 Snip off the end of the branch.  Squeeze tight and bend the branch back and forth slightly.  Then use a small piece of the wreath to cover the twist tie.

Repeat all the away around with remaining branches.

Fluff and adjust until it looks just right. 

 I used some of the wreath's branches to bend over the holly to secure it a little bit more, but not too much.  I didn't want it flat inside the fluffy wreath.


Now hang!  I like to use fishing wire to hang mine.  It's doubled up a couple times and hung from a command hook on the other side of the door.

 Merry Christmas!

How do you like to decorate your wreaths?

No comments: