Thursday, December 6, 2012

Nativity projects

I just love this time of the year.  Scratch that, I love the REAL reason for this time of the year.  Everything else is just a bonus.

I've long said I wanted to collect Nativities.  The problem is I'm super picky about which ones I like (just ask my mom when she wanted me to get one for Christmas a few years ago!).  Ever since Ashley at Make It and Love It did this in 2010 (see tutorial here)

I've been longing and planning to do it with my Silhouette machine, but I've never had a place to display it (it just needs a fireplace or something nice)  Finally I decided I'd tweak it a little bit and make it work so it can be split up.

I printed the words instead of using the Silhouette because they were just a little too skinny and were snagging in the machine.  If I did bigger than 4x6 it probably would have worked, but these were the frames I had lying around to use.  I did the shepherds and wise men in 4x6 and the manger scene in 8x10.

Wise Men Still Seek Him

 Oh, Come, Let Us Adore Him

Where meek souls will receive him, still 
The dear Christ enters in


I used my Silhouette machine to cut out the images (though you could just google nativity silhouette, there are tons of options and print it with the words).  

I really like to focus on the Savior's role in my life during Christmas and I try to make sure some of my decorations reflect that.


I love this set of hurricane candle holders that my Brother in law got me a couple years ago (Thanks, Curt!)
I think it would be pretty easy to DIY with some vinyl and hurricane jars.


While looking for my link to my inspiration at Make It and Love It, I came across this in a google search.  I really like her version as well!

How do you like to reflect the true meaning of Christmas in your home?

1 comment:

Debra said...

I love Nativities as well. And I am also a bit picky about them. :) I love the idea of using the Silhouette. I'll have to put it on my to-do list for next year. Thanks for sharing.