Friday, January 18, 2013

Sweet Potato Fries

Sweet Potato Fries are a family favorite.  I've been making them for years.  Before this I didn't like sweet potatoes AT ALL.  I found the idea and thought it was worth a shot, and we were in love!  Over the years I've changed it up a little.  Here are some pointers:

We prefer wedge fries.  They don't get too soft but still get the dark almost burnt sections that you want (this is the sugar in the potato caramelizing, it's YUMMY!)

One trick I saw on the internet for regular fries was to soak them in water first.  This was the first time I'd tried it and the jury is still out on whether it's worth it.

Mix some flour with your seasonings.  We prefer a little spice to compliment the sweetness (okay, so we prefer a lot of spice) I use Seasoning Salt, Pepper, chipotle powder, and creole seasoning.  If you don't like spice leave out the chipotle and creol.  If you can't have gluten, try rice flour or a different one of your choice.  I used to make it without the four and it tastes yummy, too.  We just like it this way a bit better.

The best way to cook these is on the grill.  Though the broiler works too, you just have to balance getting them cooked through with cooking too fast. I make a disposable cookie sheet by taking a piece of foil and turning up the edges (you will want edges to catch the oil, not just a flat sheet of foil!)  Sorry about the bad picture, but it's dark by dinner time and the flash reflects off the foil.


This time I actually coated them with too much flour.  They got crunchy, but it was more the flour getting crunchy not the fry getting that dark color that I mentioned you wanted.  So, lightly coat them.

 I cook them on the grill over medium to medium high heat (depending on what else is on the grill) for about 30-40 minutes.  See the yummy dark spots.  Mmmmm.  I prefer dipped in ketchup like regular fries, but my hubby and son prefer BBQ.

No comments: