Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cooking Fish without the 'fishy smell'

Fish is really good for you.  I'm lucky enough that my family loves it.  However, I HATE that fish smell in my house.  One of the best parts about living in Florida is we grill out all year long (that didn't stop us before, though.  I once made my hubby grill while it was snowing!  He pulled it close to our back door and braved the weather for some yummy food)
I prefer to cook my fish in foil packets (think campfire cooking) and it steams them a bit, too.  They're always really moist!

Start with two pieces of foil the same length (roughly, you don't have to be exact)
Lay one on top of the other and fold over the long side (you know a hot dog fold) about 1/4 inch. 

Then roll it up once more another 1/4 inch.  Yes, you just made a seam in your foil.

Then open up your foil.  The seam should be down the middle.
Put a tiny bit of oil on your foil and lay your fish out.  I like to make sure they're not overlapping TOO much, so they cook evenly and so I can season them evenly.

Drizzle with a tiny bit more and add your seasonings.  We like spice, so pepper, creole, chili powder if you like 'blackened' fish.

Pull up the long sides of the foil so they're matching and then roll it up until it almost touches the fish.  Then roll the short sides up.  Smash all the seams nice and tight.  I like to transport mine to the grill on a real cookie sheet (just in case something were to happen)  Cook on medium to medium low until it's flaky.
Now if you really want to avoid the fish smell, make sure the first time you open the packet it's OUTSIDE.  Then next times won't have that burst of fish smell like the first time.  But don't peak until you think it's done, this is not something you mess around with, just toss it on and let it cook.  Thicker fish will take longer, obviously, and you may want to flip the packet over and keep the heat lower.

Enjoy your fish!  Just roll up that fishy foil and throw it straight in the garbage when you're done!

No comments: