Thursday, March 14, 2013

Happy Pi Day!

What better way to celebrate Pi Day with Dairy Free Chicken Pot Pie and Razzleberry pie!  These are two of my dad's favorites from Marie Calendars but he claims that these recipes are even better!  Take it from my dad, it's totally worth making it from scratch!  You can of course use dairy if you prefer, but you don't miss it!

First off, start with this crust.  I know you can use whatever (even store bought) but trust me, this one is easy and yummy!  Don't let the vinegar scare you, you can't taste it. My grandpa perfected this recipe (most my favorite family recipes come from my grandpa's!)

Pie Crust (makes 2 crusts)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 t. salt
1 c. shortening
1 egg
1 t. vinegar

Beat egg with a fork. Then add vinegar and enough water to equal 1/2 cup liquid.
Cut shortening into flour and salt until shortening is well coated with flour.

Add liquid and stir just until moistened.  

Divide dough in half 

and roll into a circle (1/8" thick) big enough to fit your pie tin. 

Roll the crust backwards up over the rolling pin a little bit as shown.  

Using your rolling pin to help you pick up the crust and support the weight evenly slide it over on top of your pie dish.

If doing a double crusted pie, repeat with second half.  Fold edges and using thumb, press edges together.  Prick dough with fork if doing a single crust, if doing double prick top layer.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.


Pie Crust (makes 2 crusts)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 t. salt
1 c. shortening
1 egg
1 t. vinegar

Beat egg with a fork. Add vinegar and enough water to equal 1/2 cup liquid.  Cut shortening into flour and salt until shortening is well coated with flour.  Add liquid and stir just until moistened.  Divide dough in half and roll into a circle (1/8" thick) big enough to fit your pie tin. Repeat with second half.  Fold edges and using thumb, press edges.  Prick dough with fork.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.


Dairy Free Chicken Pot Pie

Enough to fill 2 pies
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 chicken bouillion cubes
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
1/8 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup flour
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
optional: 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning,  (we like things spicy and flavorful around here, but this much cajun doesn't add much heat so add more or less depending on your family)

Blend all together in blender (if you prefer not to use your blender and dirty another thing, I understand, I just already have it out to make my almond milk) just crush your bullion cubes and make sure that it is smooth and not too lumpy.  Of course, if you aren't looking for dairy free and don't mind those condensed cream of chicken soups, just use that.  This homemade version is runnier because the flour has not been cooked yet so it is not thickened up. Don't worry, it will.



4 cubed cooked chicken breasts or thighs (or use shredded chicken you've frozen to save time)
2 cups carrots diced
1 cup celery diced
1-2 cups frozen peas

Any additional veggies you like in your pot pie

I like to saute up the cubed chicken and add carrots when it is almost done.  

This gives the carrots a little extra cooking time so they're not as crunchy. 
Don't put them in too long though, unless you like super tender carrots. 

 Layer chicken and veggies.  

   Cover with Sauce and seal edges. Place pie tin on cookie sheet to catch any spills (nothing worse than smoke from sauce from your perfect pie) This crust is so good, that if I decide to trim the edges to make it look good (I don't always) I toss the crust on the cookie sheets for the last 5 min.  My son once proclaimed that crust wasn't good enough to eat plain, but this has changed his mind.  The kids fight over these pieces.

Bake for at 400 degrees for 25 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes for sauce to start to thicken.





Razzleberry Pie
This is my dad's favorite pie.  I wanted to make it for him, but I had never tried it before.  Thankfully it is as wonderful as she says it is! Please visit her for the recipe.  I want to make sure she gets credit for this amazing pie!  I didn't make 5 pies, but it's good enough that next time I maybe should!  She does the math and reduces it to one pie for you in the comments.  I made two and we stretched it to last us two days, but there were still tears when it was all gone!



Happy Pi Day, Everyone!

3 comments:

LuAnn said...

Thanks for the recipes and great tutorial with pictures! Very professional. I can't wait to try them and only hope that mine turn out as good as yours.

Unknown said...

I'm going to try this recipe tomorrow! So excited to find it. I dislike cooking with butter fakes (i.e. soy!) and to find your pot pie recipe makes me so happy! I will post how it turns out later on!

Kristin said...

You should up date this blog. :) Well maybe not right this second since you are super busy. But you guys have been working on so many fun projects I want to see them all. (Just wanted to let you know I still check, patiently waiting for more.) :)